Saturday, February 26, 2011

February 26: Psalm 23

Today's reading.*

Allen commented the other day that this psalm was such a part of his Christian experience growing up, while Psalm 22 was largely left off the map. I imagine this psalm is so familiar to many of us that we are tempted to take its truth for granted. I know I am. 

But as I gave it a fresh reading this morning, I realized that if I'm going to read this psalm out loud, if I'm going to speak its words and make them true of me and my own life, I have to call myself a sheep. "The Lord is my shepherd," necessarily implies, "and I am his sheep." The images of green pastures and still waters reinforce this idea. Still, I don't think I typically let the full weight of that hit me. 

I am a sheep. The word has such a negative connotation in our culture. Sheep are followers. They don't have original ideas. They don't make their own way or pull themselves up by their boot straps. They bleat. They graze. They let themselves be driven and herded wherever their shepherd leads. But they aren't the most ingenious or resourceful or animals. 

When it comes to the paths of righteousness, I am a sheep in desperate need of the leading of my Shepherd. When I pass through the valley of the shadow of death, I have nothing with which to defend myself, but rely on the strength, justice and care of my Shepherd. And when I want to enjoy the blessings of this world, I have nothing on my own strength with which to gain them, but rely on my Shepherd to prepare a banquet for me. 

When I forget I am a sheep, I look to defend myself and seek justice on my own strength. But it never satisfies. When I forget I'm a sheep, I seek the riches of this world but forget the One from whom comes every good gift (James 1:17). When I forget I'm a sheep, I stray from the path of righteousness on which my Shepherd leads me. 

I am a sheep, called to rest in the care, love and protection of my Good Shepherd (John 10:11). Christ is my shepherd. He leads me in righteousness, conquers my foes, does all that he does for my good. He laid down his life for me! He makes me dwell in the house of the Lord forever! What have I to fear? Why would I doubt? Why do I so often have little faith? Christ is my shepherd. I am a sheep. The sooner I accept that, the sooner I will find peace. 





*I apologize for the late post today! We were stuck on the road to Tahoe yesterday until late in the evening, and I think I spent all my brain power on making sure our car remained on the road throughout the 10 hour trek. I forgot last night. Sorry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment