Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1: Colossians 1

Day one! I am excited to begin our journey through Scripture together with you. Here is today's reading. Please know that I am praying Paul's prayer from vv.9-14 for you all this morning.


Jesus is huge in this passage. I like what one pastor says: Jesus is colossal in Colossians. Look at what Paul writes about Jesus in chapter 1: he's the firstborn of all creation (15); all things were made through and for him (16); the universe holds together in him (17); he is the head of the church, the heir (firstborn) of all creation, and the one in whom dwells all the fullness of divinity (18-19). If you think Jesus is important, you are wrong: Jesus is ALL that's important.

But the highest peak of the mountain range of Christ and his work is not simply that Jesus is God. Not that he made all things or rules all things. For Paul, the pinnacle of Christ's person and work is that he makes "peace by the blood of his cross" (20). Jesus is preeminent as Creator and King of all things, but he is especially preeminent as crucified, reconciling, peace-making Savior.

This Scripture presents me with a difficult question today: what is preeminent in my mind, heart, and life? Where do I seek greatness? All too often, I am prone to seek it in work, family, money. I want others to see how brilliant I am, how capable I am, how together I am. But this sin of pride and self-sufficiency in my heart is opposed to the gospel as Paul presents it here. Jesus made all things, possesses all power, holds everything in the universe together. Yet, it is the weakness and humiliation of the cross that represented Christ's finest hour. In sin, I think greatness comes from my exaltation; in the gospel, I see it comes in humility. In God's kingdom, humility is greatness.

2 comments:

  1. Great first entry! I think it's a great reminder to start off the new year that our greatness should rest in Christ and Christ alone, despite how much our sinful nature desires otherwise.

    Looking forward to the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so convicting when you think of how often we work hard to be considered great by others around us, and then remember that Jesus never did that. He came to serve and give his life as a ransom for many, even though he was the King we all should have been bowing to. We serve an incredible God. Stoked to go through His Word with you.

    ReplyDelete