Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27: Psalm 12

Psalm 12 is an interesting one.

The psalmist is disheartened because "the faithful have vanished from among the children of man" (12:1). Can you empathize? Do you ever feel as though you are alone or in a distinct minority in believing what you do? In striving to be pure in some way? 

In this case, it is "flattering lips and a double heart" (12:2) that characterizes the speech of the psalmist's neighbors. He can trust no one near him; everyone speaks lies and misuses the gift of speech. In fact, his enemies are sinfully using their tongues to gain power over others (12:4).

In that moment, when you see others sinning in a way that you do not, are you prone to self-righteousness? Do you find yourself lifting yourself above others? All too often that's my reaction. I want to take matters into my own hands. I want to see justice done. I want to be proven better than those around me. 

That was never Jesus's attitude. Even when he hung on the cross as people used their lips to mock and curse him, he never turned an angry or vengeful word toward them. He prayed for their forgiveness.

I think Christ could do that because the Lord had said he would come to the aid of the needy and oppressed (12:5), and because God's words are always trustworthy: "The words of the LORD are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times" (12:6). Jesus could cling to God's promise of help and justice because his Word is pure, right, true. 

If my Father's words are all those things, how can I model my words after his? How can I be more a son of my Father by speaking his words after him, by keeping my speech pure and in line with Scripture? "Vileness" may be "exalted among the children of man" (12:8), but I am a child of God. How can I honor him in my speech today?

No comments:

Post a Comment