Saturday, January 22, 2011

Responding to Jesus (Mark 6)

In Mark 6, there are multiple groups of people who are given the opportunity to respond to Jesus and his message. 

In Nazareth (6:1-6), where Jesus grew up, the people think they know Jesus, think they know who he is. So when He starts speaking like the Son of God, they say to one another, "isn't this the carpenter's son? Where does he get off?" They are offended because Jesus refuses to fit inside their box.

When Jesus sends out his disciples to preach his good news (6:7-13) like a King sending out his messengers, he gives them instructions on what to do when people reject or receive them. If you're rejected, shake the dust off your shoes; not even the dirt of that town will have a part in Jesus's kingdom! If you're received, on the other hand, stay with those people until you decide to move on; those who welcome the messengers of the kingdom will receive the blessing of having that kingdom's ambassadors stay under their own roof. 

Herod (6:14-29) has a response to the gospel message similar to the one I'm tempted to have. He doesn't like the call to obedience. Herod wants to hear the gospel, but doesn't want to respond to it: "When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed, and yet he heard him gladly" (6:20). This halfway Christianity leads Herod to choose his worldly standing over justice (6:26), and he has John murdered in order to save face. 

In the feeding of the 5,000 (6:30-44), the people respond to Jesus in faith; they had to trust that he would provide, or else they would grow faint and possibly even die in that desolate place. They had to sit down in groups of 50 or 100, and it takes a faith that believes Jesus can and will provide to even sit down next to my neighbor, expecting some sort of meal to come. The crowd responds in faith even though the Twelve do not. 

When Jesus walks on the water (6:45-52), his disciples respond in disbelief and fear. "And they were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened" (6:51-52). They would not, could not yet believe that Jesus is God. But he isn't done with them yet. 

6:53-56 deals with the response of the people of Gennesaret. In contrast to Nazareth, these people receive Jesus with gladness. In fact, when he landed nearby, people RAN to him (6:55) and confidently pleaded with him to heal their sick (6:56).

Spiritually, I want to be a Gennesaret man. I want to respond to the good news of the kingdom with confident prayer to the Lord for my every need. I want to know that God in Christ has fulfilled my greatest need, and so I should have no trouble at all relying on him completely to fill my fridge and heal my body. The  good news of the kingdom says that in Christ I am reconciled to God. The Lord who feeds thousands and walks on the storm and covers my sin with his blood is able to give me whatever I ask. I need only respond in expectant, childlike faith that my Lord is faithful and good. Do I believe that today?

No comments:

Post a Comment