Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8: Colossians 4

A couple things stick out as I read the closing of Paul's letter in Colossians 4.

Continue steadfastly in prayer (4:2). We just talked about prayer on Thursday in Psalm 3, and it seems to be one of those things that I keep coming across in my reading of Scripture. I shouldn't be surprised by this, since prayer is a major theme in the Bible. But I am consistently convicted when I read of it, because I am consistently NOT steadfast in prayer. Prayer seems like little more than words to us; our time is better spent, we think, DOING something.

There is something in our faith that runs counter to our very nature. We want to DO, but prayer and faith remind us that everything that needs doing has already been done. It's because Jesus was raised from the dead (2:13) and given all authority (1:16) that we can pray at all. Our prayer comes in response to the work of Christ for us that has already been accomplished. When it comes to our salvation, there is nothing for us to do but repent of our sin and believe the gospel. And in light of that grace, we live prayerful lives of thanksgiving (4:2).

Then he tells us to "walk in wisdom toward outsiders" (4:5). I need to remember to be gracious in my speech (4:6), and to be intentional about the way I speak to people outside the church. Am I loving my neighbor? Do I use my neighbor as a means to an end? Do I treat him/her as a nuisance to be brushed past? That was my posture with the person at the front desk when I checked out of our hotel yesterday. I often don't have the time of day for "outsiders." How can I graciously answer them if I don't even bother to look at them?

Paul closes by talking about other brothers and sisters in the church. There are all kinds of references in here to Paul's love for these people (4:7), his need for them (4:10-13), their importance to the work of the church (4:12, 15). We all need one another in the church and we should kill every twinge of pride that would keep us from relying on one another.

I need to hear that today. I want to do it all on my own. But if Paul couldn't, neither can I.

2 comments:

  1. Convicted. Prayer is definitely one of the most challenging aspects of my walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer is hard. Luther said prayer was some of the hardest work a Christian could do. That doesn't make me do it more, but at least I know I'm not alone in thinking it's so hard. :)

    ReplyDelete