Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29: Mark 9


The last chapter closed with the disciples seeing more clearly that Jesus is the Son of God. In this chapter, three of Jesus's closest friends get to see it in a way no one has seen it thus far. Jesus is transfigured before them and has a chat with Moses and Elijah, two men who at this point have been dead for thousands and hundreds of years, respectively. If they had any misgivings about Jesus being the Son of God until now, those doubts should be burned away by the radiance of Christ's shining robes.

The book of Marks opened with a declaration of the fact that Jesus is God's Son (1:1). The Father has said this to Jesus's followers once before at his baptism (1:11). All the demons that they've encountered thus far seem to get it (3:115:7). Now the Father says it to Jesus's closest disciples in the presence of Israel's law-giver and greatest prophet (9:7). Moses and Elijah are like advisers in the court of King Jesus, and all Peter can think to say is, "I'm glad we came" (9:5).

There is so much to unpack and meditate upon in the rest of this passage: Jesus's restatement that he will have to die and rise again (9:30-32); what does it mean to be great in God's kingdom (9:33-37); what should holiness look like among Christ's followers (9:42-50). But I can't move past this chapter without dwelling upon my favorite prayer in all Scripture.

"Immediately the father of the child cried out  and said, 'I believe; help my unbelief!'" (9:24). 

This is one prayer I find myself coming back to over and over again. It says, "I know what's true about God. I know that nothing is too hard for him, that he can do whatever he desires. I can dot my theological I's and cross my religious observing T's. But everything inside my rebellious heart wants to doubt you, Lord. Belief is too much for me; faithfulness is beyond me. Apart from your power I cannot obey. Without your grace, I can't follow you. I believe; help my unbelief!" 

I prayed this prayer yesterday as I was tempted to doubt God's goodness when it comes to our finances. The reality is that God has provided time and again, and I know (in my head) that he will continue to do so. But my sinful heart wants to be independent. I'd rather not rely on my heavenly Father for financial support. I want to be self-reliant. I want to move out of my Father's house and pay rent on my own for a change.

As I struggled through these temptations, I came to the end of myself. I can't do it. I can't obey on my own. I am unwilling to follow Jesus on my own strength. It's not the prayer of a weakling, but that of every disciple who struggles to throw him/herself upon God's mercy. "I believe; help my unbelief." 

No comments:

Post a Comment